But the area of phytonutrients is where beans really shine through in their antioxidant value. Beans contain a wide variety of carotenoids (including lutein, beta-carotene, violaxanthin, and neoxanthin) and flavonoids (including quercetin, kaemferol, catechins, epicatechins, and procyanidins) that have all been shown to have health-supportive antioxidant properties.
Purple beans, by the way, are essentially green beans disguised in a violet hued skin. They maintain the same lean cylindric shape, size and stringless seam. Underneath the purple shell is the same crisp translucent succulent green flesh and pale lime green peas. The flavor matches that of a French green bean with grassy notes and a sweet finish. And, once cooked, the violet hues fade to green, leaving the purple bean to appear as common as a green bean.
Besides the fact that the family of green beans have so many health benefits, it also taste great.
Below is an easy recipe to make and worth having in the refrigerator during the summer months. You can also freeze beans for winter months.
Marinated Bean Salad
- 1 1/2 cups of organic green beans cut into 1-inch lengths;
- 1 1/2 cups of organic yellow beans cut into 1-inch lengths;
- 1 1/2 cups of organic purple beans cut into 1-inch lengths;
- 4 -5 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil;
- 4 Tablespoon minced onion;
- 3-4 medium fresh cloves garlic, pressed;
- 3 Tablespoon chopped fresh lemon basil;
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano;
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley;
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste.
- Prepare the beans and bring a pot of water to a boil. Allow the beans to boil for 10 minutes. A fork should pierce them easily when they are done.
- Drain the beans and set aside until ready to sautee.
- Heat a sauce pan or skillet on medium heat with olive oil for at least 3 minutes. Add onion, garlic and cook for 60 seconds. Add beans and cook for 3-5 minutes. Season with herbs and with salt & pepper.
- Let it marinate for at least 15 minutes, with heat off. It can keep in the refrigerator for a few days. Keep on hand for a quick meal.
Your faithful Servant,